Japanese Bunker in GenSan

Saturday, September 05, 2015

gensan, general santos city, world war 2, philippines, magandang gensan, gensan, japanese bunkers

Have you heard stories about the Japanese colonization in the Philippines? Or heard different stories about World War II? Well, I’m sure all of you did, especially all Pinoys. My Lolo was a settler in Marbel (now Koronadal City) and my dad told me stories about my lolo’s life and adventure during the Japanese colonization.

But as history tells, the Philippines has been  colonized by Japanese for a short time but it was the bloodiest and  the most difficult one. During the World War 2, General Santos City or GenSan become one of the last borderland of the American and the Japanese soldiers. Before the World War 2 began, the Japanese forces constructed  round cemented tunnels and hideouts in different areas in the city and other neighboring places. And we’ve seen and visited one.

Ali have been telling me about a tunnel or hideout located at an empty lot at the back of the village, so I was so excited and giddy to check it out. We actually don’t know if it’s a tunnel or a hideout cause we never attempted to go inside; there might be snakes, bats, or bugs inside it. Anyway, Ali have heard stories about this igloo shaped hideout/tunnel. They say it’s a tunnel its outlet is in Malesido, some say it is just a hideout, some also said that it contained lots of gold, and some say people in authorities had been inside it and got all the golds/treasure that they can get. But we really don’t know which one is true...

 
There are more of these in Brgy. Conel GenSan that is now one of the most visited tourist spots here.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. My grandpa participate in World War II also and is the one who makes swords and spears. It's amazing that you get to go there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool! My grandpa wasn't that vocal of his experiences during the world war 2 :(

      Delete
  2. I would love to visit GenSan one of these days because of all the wonderful things and spots I've been reading about it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ochi! You must visit GenSan. Please do msg me if you're planning to :)

      Delete
  3. Ah, these are so cool and interesting! :) I'm a sucker for historical things, so I really appreciate these kind of stuff. :)

    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I studied South East Asian History for O Levels but unfortunately, I didn't study about the Philippines. The History is so rick and beautiful though! <3

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes, I agree. Philippines has a brutal history which is really sad...

      Delete
  5. Wish I could visit that place too, never been to somewhere really far Joyce. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hihi. Uban kay Marisse, lish. sige naaa,. visit GenSan :)

      Delete
  6. Ooh! This place sounds so interesting. I had never heard about it before. I would love to dig more into it. Could you recommend a history book for that? (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really would love to visit you in Gensan one day. In sha Allah.


    Kai, www.lilpink.info

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have friends from GenSan, badly wanna visit but no one cares to send invites lol Sad life. You know some of the Tantay's who are from GenSan, Ate?

    Lou | wander-soul.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hihihi. You must, then let's meet! :)
      Yes yes, I have a friend who's a Tantay, his name is Val. We used to be friends way back high school but then he moved to Cebu to study kaya yun. You know him? :)

      Delete
  9. I remember my mom's story about the Japanese that they used to hide in tunnels so the Japanese won't find them. THanks for sharing! Really interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe