Modesty

Thursday, April 23, 2015


Modesty in Islam is one of the principles of faith. It is freedom from vanity and showiness. It is decency and moderation in speech, manner, dress and total attitude and behavior towards life. It is shyness, simplicity and humility about our abilities and accomplishments. (http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_modesty_in_Islam) 
Ever since I transferred platforms and decided that it’s time to bring blogging into the next level, I made a promise to myself that I will post OOTDs or What I Wore as much as I can here in  my humble blog. And since majority of the people here in the Philippines are Catholic, Modest/Muslim Fashion is often neglected. To tell you honestly, I still get that stare at malls or public places, I don’t know if they’re in awe that a hijabi or a woman who is fully covered is a fashionista or that racist kind of look. But I’d like to think it’s the first one.

So…

Recently, I collaborated with Kai with her project, the Hijabi Mag. This is all about spreading awareness on Modest Fashion here in the Philippines and to show that wearing hijab is NOT an oppression but a choice.  In short it’s “Hey, you can be all covered up and be fashionista at the same time”. :D I’m just so excited and I can’t wait for the launching! Maybe it’ll be launched before or during Ramadan. Inshallah. 

I’m still new at this What I Wore posts and I apologise in advance, albeit I will do my best to make my every post catchy and genuine. For now, I am leaving you with a fun shoot I had with my dearest cousin and best friend plus a quote I love by Angelina Jolie.



"The sun doesn't lose its beauty when covered by clouds. 
The same way your beauty doesn't fade when covered by Hijab."
-Angelina Jolie

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I love the quote above, Angie is so inspirational! Anyway, im proud of you that you are firm with what you believe, i know it can be hard though to have people staring at you because you are wearing what you're wearing, and there will be a lot of misconception about it. But its really a matter of how you let them get under your skin. I love this post Joyce, ad you look absolutely beautiful <3 Have a nice day :)

    www.sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! She truly is an inspiration. Thank you so much, Sarah! Thank you for appreciating my beliefs and culture. Today, it's hard finding people who wouldn't criticize you for wearing hijab. SO thank you so so much, Sarah <3

      Delete
  2. I think this is a wonderful project, and it should be noted for that! I love learning more about your culture, and I think this kind of fashion creates a whole new dimension. Not everyone can create a fashion statement out of a hijab. You and your friends could totally pull that off. I am amazed. I wish to see more of this in your blog, Ate Joyce! :)

    Mimi | The Foxy Heroine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mi! I too am still learning and there is too much to learn but i'm taking baby steps. This is because i'm a revert. I used to be a Catholic but i found my home in Islam.
      I will absolutely post more OOTD's hehe

      Delete
  3. I love the outfit, Joyce!

    Aneth // anethfradez.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on the magazine! I admire you guys for trying to make a difference, and I must say that you're totally a step closer to it. :)

    Wonderful photos too! I know this isn't really something that you do often, but this post of yours came out great. Looking forward to more of your OOTDs!

    www.jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much, Jhanz. It's a long ride but we're hopeful. hihihi. I hope it goes well :)

      Delete
  5. having lived in dubai for the longest time meant i was able to embrace the cultures and belief of this country. that includes modesty. of course i will not be hypocrite and do show a bit of skin with my off-shoulder tops and slits on skirts but i do so being mindful of where i am and where i am going. much of the tourists and new comers here in dubai tend to forget that it is a muslim country and we need to be mindful and respectful. extra short shorts are for the beach and not the mall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True true. Dubai is a an open country now and people take the advantage of it and wear revealing clothes.. which is sad :(

      Delete
  6. I do stare at some people who wear hijabi not because I question what they're wearing, but because I like how they look with it! Sometimes I imagine how I look if I'm wearing it. Haha :) Can't wait for the magazine!

    Jean xx lapetitefawn.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! I'm soooo happy to see you here! I can't wait for your comeback. I'll surely be a regular reader <3
      Thank you so much! :) I'm sure you'll look beautiful when wearing one :)

      Delete
    2. I already went back to blogging on La Petite Fawn just a few days ago! :) I'm so glad to be back, I missed this. Hehee

      xo,
      Jean // La Petite Fawn Blog

      Delete
    3. I'm so happy! You don't know me but i've been a fan of your words for so long, Jean. I hope we can be friends :)

      Delete

Subscribe